top of page

Are you a U.S. citizen? The Dutch American Friendship Treaty (DAFT) May Be For You!

The Dutch American Friendship Treaty (also known as the DAFT), is a treaty established in 1956 between the U.S. and The Netherlands. The purpose of the Dutch American Friendship Treaty was to promote and enable trade and commerce between the two countries. For immigration purposes, the DAFT enables U.S. citizens to obtain a residence permit fairly easily. As a result of the DAFT, it is significantly easier for American’s to get a residence permit as a small business owner/entrepreneur.

Expat Help has built up extensive experience in obtaining residence permits under the Dutch American Friendship Treaty for our U.S. clients. In fact, we have a 100% success ratio! We will handle the entire application procedure for you. From gathering the appropriate documents and submitting the application to navigating you through the Dutch (bureaucracy) system, we will guide you throughout the entire process - quickly and efficiently.

You will need to meet the following requirement and conditions to obtain a residence permit based on the DAFT:

· You must set-up a business and register it with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (KvK). The scope of registrable businesses is very broad. For example, IT consulting, website development, interior design, etc., are all acceptable businesses.

· You need to invest significant capital into your company. Currently this is set at a capital investment of 4.500 euros and needs to be deposited and available in a Dutch business bank account.

· You have a valid travel document (for example a passport).

· You are not a risk to public order and national security.

· You have sufficient and long-term means of support

· You have not previously stayed in the Netherlands illegally.

· You have not given false information or have withheld important information to support any previous applications.

To complete the application process, you will need to provide a Dutch bank statement showing the amount invested. You must also provide an opening balance sheet verified by a certified Dutch accountant or financial advisor. Upon approval, the residence permit would be issued for two years. After two years, it would be renewed for another five years. Your spouse and children would also be permitted to reside in The Netherlands for the same approved duration.

With our experience and established network of trusted partners, we can help make your dream become a reality. If you are contemplating moving to The Netherlands or seek guidance with the DAFT, contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation!


bottom of page